Oh how I love the great unpredictability of March weather. One day it will be warm and bright, with birds chirping in the distancing hinting at the possibility that it will soon be spring, and the next clouds are threatening to bring on a barrage of snow despite the fact that you all too optimistically packed away your snow boots a week ago. The only upside to Mother Nature's version of March Madness? It forces you into some very puzzling sartorial situations. For instance how should one dress if it's going to be 50 and sunny in the morning but 30 and possibly snowing later that evening? I'm not sure I've quite figured that one out yet, but below are some of the styling tricks I hope to be rocking every day this month.
1. All Tied Up — Sick of you winter scarves yet? I know I am. Try tying them around your torso like a beauty queen's sash updating your go to coat while simultaneously freeing your neck from their fuzzy embrace.
2. Geek Chic Sequins — By now the idea of wearing sequins for day should barely phase you, let alone come as a shock. Instead of sticking to the tried and true versions, i.e. sequined joggers or a sparkly pencil skirt, wear your bling under a cozy knit (like a nerdy chic sweater vest) to keep the trend feeling fresh.
3. Track Star — Side stripe pants, whether you call them tuxedo or track, were everywhere this fashion month. Play down the sporty vibe with luxe pieces like a faux fur jacket or crisp button up.
4. Make A (Single) Statement — Let your baddest and boldest coat steal the spotlight by pairing it with clean simple basics. You may see it as a chance to give a little love to your favorite statement piece, I see it as a great excuse to wear jeans and a tee to work. Same thing, right?
5. Get Pinned — Not sure if you're really all that into the giant brooch trend? Ease into it with mini pins on the lapel of your coat or the collar of you shirt.
6. Fancy Shmancy — Get extra millage out of your fanciest skirts by pairing them with cozy knits and basic flats or booties.
7. Get Dressed In The Dark — The most magical "third piece" of them all, the long vest, can take even the most mixed up colors and prints and bring them together in a way that works. So go for it, get dressed in the dark and then just pop your go-to solid long vest over it all.
8. Play Bachelorette — If you're anything like me, you've tried and tested a number of fitness and health trackers to see which one works best. And by that I mean which one makes me feel most guilty about skipping the gym. Instead of giving the final rose to just one tracker, embrace your play-girl status and wear them all. Unlike dates, they won't get jealous.
9. Patch Things Up — The freshest new way to rock denim on denim is with patched pieces in differing shades. It also never hurts to throw a Chanel slingback into the mix.
10. Jewels From Head to Toe — Monochrome outfits never fail to make a lady look elegant, but when the color of choice is a jewel tone like emerald, ruby, or sapphire the look takes on a whole new level of chic.
11. Knot Your Average Shirt — Tie up your button downs like never before by knotting just one side, both sides separately, or turn the whole thing around and knot the back.
12. A Perfect Couple — Bridge the gap between your warm and cold weather wardrobes by pairing your airiest summer dress with your coziest faux fur jacket. You may feel like the two extremes won't work but the end effect is just as dreamy a pair as Seth Cohen and Blair Waldorf.
14. Maine to NYC Transplant — Embrace your inner prep and go full on Lands' End catalog with cargo skinnies, a chunky fisherman's knit, a popped collar, and your trusty denim jacket. Finish it off with a twist in the shape of some sky high pointy toed stilettos.
15. Eye Spy — Quirky accessories are always the easiest way to spice up a look. Give googly eyes and cartoon touches a chance and you'll see just how quickly they can brighten your day.
16. Easy As 1, 2, 3 — Matching sets are nothing new, but what about matching triads? Bonus points if the three pieces are pants, a jacket, and a dress instead of a shirt or vest.
17. Comfortably Cool — Who says you can't be comfy and cool all at once? Ease into the pajama suit trend in loose fitting separates of differing patterns, then dress it up with a red lip and a ribbon tied round your neck.
18. A Double Rainbow — Decision making is hard. Skip the process all together and paint each nail a different pastel shade (or two) instead.
19. Jacket-As-Shirt Dressing — The key to transitional dressing is to layer up, but that doesn't mean your layers have to be worn in the traditional sense. A jacket takes on a second life as a shirt when zipped up and belted.
20. Hello Ombre, My Old Friend — Ombre doesn't have to just apply to colors. Start from the top with dark heavy wools and work you way down to light as air ballet flats for a perfectly lovely transitional look.
21. Warm, Not Dark — Another great way to combine your winter and summer wardrobes? By keeping pant legs and shirt sleeves long in prints and colors so bright you'll just have to break out your most glamorous cat eye shades.
22. Crossed Out — Don't just tuck in your button up, cross it first! This trick doesn't only look polished and fresh, but also helps cut down on bulking blousing.
23. Well Suited — Wearing a suit can get old fast. Mix things up with an unexpected color, fit, or fabric.
24. Put A Sock In It — If you've been wanting to try wearing socks with heels but chicken out every time, now is your moment. Start with a basic solid colored sock and unfussy shoe in brown or black leather before letting your imagination go wild with possibilities.
25. Make It A Mini — Challenge yourself to bring only your on-trend mini bag to work all week and revel in the joy of unburdened shoulders.
26. A Tailored Bouquet — It's time to get those floral maxis out of storage! Even if the weather won't allow you to rock them with sandals and a bikini underneath, the pretty petal patterns will still look just as good under a tailored blazer.
27. A Scarf For Your Waist — Worried that baggy over sized pants will make you look like you've been enjoying one too many boxes of Girl Scout cookies? Think again! Tied up with a skinny scarf a too-big waist instantly becomes paperbag chic.
28. Princess Vibes — You are probably not one of the few who scored a pair of Dolce & Gabbana x FRENDS embellished headphones (lucky Rihanna), but that doesn't you can't bring on the bling when it comes to your headgear. Channel your inner princess with crystal and pearl detailed headbands.
29. Lei It On Me — This is not the Hawaiian shirt your dad breaks out on vacation. This is a socially acceptable and totally chic Hawaiian shirt made even chicer by a pair of wide leg, tied-a-the-waist pants. You don't have to beg him not to rock his version out in public so the two of you can match, but you should definitely thank him for the unexpected fashion inspiration.
30. Match, Set, Win — Blush and forest green are a match made in sartorial heaven and are the perfect color mix of spring and winter.
31. I Want a Vacation — Or just say eff it all, I want summer. Swimwear as street wear not recommended, but hey, you do you.